Introducing For the Love of Tech 5.0: Redesigned with You in Mind

Postby admin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:00 am

BodyPaint18-FB.jpg
BodyPaint18-FB.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 334751 times

body-paint-girls-23.jpeg
body-paint-girls-23.jpeg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 334751 times

22-Tomb-Raider-brooke-bayless1.jpg
22-Tomb-Raider-brooke-bayless1.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 334751 times

When 2016 began, I made three promises: 1) to redesign ForTheLoveOfTech.com, 2) to redesign the For the Love of Tech Windows 10 app, and 3) to end support for the For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app when For the Love of Tech 5.0 is available.

As of right now, I'm extremely proud to announce that two of those goals have been achieved. Both ForTheLoveOfTech.com and the For the Love of Tech Windows 10 app have been completely overhauled.

The theme of the redesigns has been "Redesigned with You in Mind" for two reasons: 1) it rhymes and 2) it really is redesigned with you in mind, quite literally.

I've received quite a lot of feedback on both the site and the app. The site had been using the Twenty Fourteen theme, a stock Wordpress theme. As we grow, we can't continue to use a stock theme. Now, you can head over to ForTheLoveOfTech.com and easily find the content you're looking for with as little clicks as possible.

I announced the redesign of ForTheLoveOfTech.com a couple weeks ago, along with the first Insider Preview build of For the Love of Tech 5.0. It contains features that people have been asking for for months, thanks to the feedback section that's available in all of our apps.

For the Love of Tech 5.0 now features sliders in each category. There's no longer a need to click "View All" to see more than two articles from a given category. Now, simply slide across to see the next articles.

Another big overhaul was the way that the app handles the Reviews, Comparisons, and Other sections. Those menus took up a lot of space on the home page for something that people don't visit often. Those menus are gone from the home page now; however, you can still find them in the navigation panel by simply tapping on the hamburger icon.

Of course, you can still find the latest reviews and comparisons right on the home screen with the new Reviews feed. Those menus have been replaced with the feed. That way, you'll still see the latest reviews and comparisons, but if you want to find an older one, you can still look it up by brand through the navigation panel.

I've also been spending a lot of time in squashing bugs in the advertisements. Originally, the banner ads in the For the Love of Tech app were placed in the Shell.xaml file, so they would show up everywhere in the app, but they would sometimes overlap content. No more. Now, the ads will still be there, but they have their own space.

There's really a ton of new features in the new apps and I can't wait for you to try them. There's a new background, new icons, and more.

We've been super hard at work redesigning everything over the last month and we really hope that you love it.

As I mentioned, the For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app was the first to receive the new builds, so that was updated with the final build days ago. The For the Love of Tech and For the Love of Tech Pro updates are available in the Store right now, so if you haven't received them yet, go get them.

Now for the third promise. Now that For the Love of Tech 5.0 is available, it's time to end support for For the Love of Tech Insider Preview. In the coming days, For the Love of Tech Insider Preview will be removed from the Store. The app will still function. In fact, it won't actually be removed from the Store, only not available in any markets, so it can still be updated if need be, or I could bring it back to try out new features.

If you didn't read the original announcement on New Year's, let me explain why I'm ending support for For the Love of Tech Insider Preview.

For the Love of Tech Insider Preview, formerly For the Love of Tech Beta, originally existed as a beta app for the universal Windows 10 app, back when the only app was the Windows 8.1 universal app. Once the UWP app was available as an update to the Windows 8.1 universal app, I promised to keep For the Love of Tech Insider Preview around to test out new features.

Then, a couple months ago, I started receiving feedback that people wanted an ad-free version of the For the Love of Tech app. I called it For the Love of Tech Pro and it's available for $1.99.

So now there's five versions of the For the Love of Tech app in the Windows Store. The For the Love of Tech app has a Windows 8.1 universal app and a Windows 10 universal app, For the Love of Tech Pro has both as well, and For the Love of Tech Insider Preview is Windows 10 only.

Add to that the Android app and now I have six apps to support. When I started the For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app, it was as simple as releasing it under that name and when it was ready for prime time, simply renaming it to For the Love of Tech and publishing it. Things have become much more complicated that they're actually two completely separate builds at this point.

For the time being, we're going to go back down to two listings in the Windows Store. This will also make room for a new third app that we're working on called For the Love of Tech Video.

For the Love of Tech Video will be, you guessed it, all video content. For the Love of Tech Video was conceived with the Xbox One in mind. After all, the Xbox One now runs Windows 10 and soon, it will be able to run Windows 10 universal apps. When this happens, we're going to be ready with a brand new app that's designed all around video content.

You can grab the For the Love of Tech app right here: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrcskh4

You can grab For the Love of Tech Pro right here: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh6j004

Return to “Announcements”