The New For the Love of Tech: Redesigned with You in Mind

admin
Site Admin

The New For the Love of Tech: Redesigned with You in Mind

Postby admin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:46 pm

A few weeks ago on New Year's, I made a few announcements. 2015 showed more growth for For the Love of Tech than I could have ever imagined. Because of this, it was time to make a few changes.

You can find the announcement here: viewtopic.php?f=19&p=374#p374

I made three promises that day. The first was a redesigned ForTheLoveOfTech.com, the second was a redesigned For the Love of Tech app, and the third was to end support for the For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app when For the Love of Tech 5.0 is available.

Today, I wanted to announce some progress that I've made toward those three goals. I've been super hard at work over the last week with the redesign of the site as well as the app and I wanted to show what we now have to offer.

ForTheLoveOfTech.com

The former theme at ForTheLoveOfTech.com was the Twenty Fourteen theme. It's a good theme but it's a stock theme in Wordpress. As we grow, we obviously couldn't continue to use a stock theme.

After testing over two dozen themes, we finally chose one that we liked. Now, when you go to the ForTheLoveOfTech.com homepage, you'll see a number of sections that will allow you to go directly where you want.

At the top of the page, you'll find a ticker that shows the most recent articles published. Following that is the For the Love of Tech logo and then the menu that we all know and love. It's the same menu that allows you to look up comparisons by phone model, reviews by brand, and photo archives by phone model. The menu is a bit smaller now, as Comparisons and Photo Archives are now under the Reviews tab.

Under the menu, you'll find two sections. On the left is a slider that shows all of the recent posts. To the right is the most recent News articles.

Following the header sections is a feed for Microsoft related articles, Apple related articles, and Google related articles, in that order. Below that is a feed of all recent reviews and comparisons and below that, you'll find feeds of videos and how to articles side by side. At the bottom is a media gallery.

You'll find that the blue on the sides has been replaced by a light gray. If you look closely, it's a background image that's similar to the background image from the For the Love of Tech app.

ForTheLoveOfTech.com has been redesigned with you in mind. We went through painstaking effort to find a design that would allow you, the reader, to find the content that you want quickly and easily.

For the Love of Tech 5.0

As I mentioned, redesigning ForTheLoveOfTech.com was only half of the project. The other half was to redesign the For the Love of Tech app.

Today I want to announce that the first preview of For the Love of Tech 5.0 is now available. You can grab it right now by downloading the For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app. You can download For the Love of Tech Insider Preview from the following link: Image

When you open the new For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app, you'll find that everything has been redesigned. In the current For the Love of Tech app, you'll see two articles per section on phone and three or four on PC, depending on your screen size.

With For the Love of Tech 5.0, you'll see a slider that allows you to easily scroll through articles and videos to find the one you're looking for. There's now just four content feeds: Main, News, Videos, and Reviews. This is followed by the Twitter feed and the forum feed.

The menus for Reviews, Comparisons, and Other have all been removed from the Home screen. They're still available through the navigation panel by simply expanding their respective menus. The new Reviews feed on the Home screen, which includes all recent reviews and comparisons, is not in the navigation panel.

One of the greatest additions that I made to the For the Love of Tech app was the feedback section that allows you to email me with feedback and suggestions. I took all of these suggestions into account when I designed For the Love of Tech 5.0. It's designed with you in mind.

I encourage you to continue to use that feedback section of the app to tell me how you feel about For the Love of Tech 5.0. Tell me what you love about the new app. Tell me what you hate about it. Tell me what else you want to see from For the Love of Tech 5.0.

I put a lot of work into ForTheLoveOfTech.com and the For the Love of Tech app over the last few weeks and I really hope you love it. Even more so, I want to know what I can do to make you love it even more.

The For the Love of Tech Insider Preview app, formerly known as For the Love of Tech Beta, was originally the beta app for the For the Love of Tech UWP app. If it's not completely obvious, For the Love of Tech 5.0 is and will be a UWP app.

Once again, you can grab For the Love of Tech Insider Preview from the following link: Image
Attachments
xgq69.jpg
xgq69.jpg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 334824 times
xgq45.jpg
xgq45.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 334824 times
xgq9l.jpg
xgq9l.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 334824 times
xgq38.jpg
xgq38.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 334824 times
xgq8i.jpg
xgq8i.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 334824 times
xgq1c.jpg